Friday, October 22, 2010

THE SEVEN DAYS OF JOSH MURRΑY IN KYTHIRA DAY 5 ''POTAMOS/KARAVAS''

''..Sunday is Market o’clock for the town of Potamos. I spent the day touring the north of the island, Potamos destination no.1 anticipating a collective of wholesome plump moussaka-fed local girls minding stalls abound in home-pressed olives, honey kissed by perfumed native blossoms, bakeries of freshly baked dry sesame breads and of course Diples (I am an addicted), plum-polished aubergines, succulent-sweet carrots and ragged organic lemons.
I’d forgotten this is Greece, it’s Sunday, and the last thing mosts Greeks do is work. I arrived to find a few neglected trestle tables selling local honey, jam and oil in recycled water bottles and some lucky dip jewellery hanging off branches of a gold painted tree branch… the local Tiffany’s franchise no less. I double checked the map and it was in fact listed as a flea market… more like a flea schmarket. To Potamos’ credit, its charm is a pleasant local filled street and piazza of cafés spilling onto the sidewalks full of mud-like sweetened coffee and idle gossip. One thing I know from my exposure to Greeks is that they love to gossip about everyone and everything..''

No comments:

Post a Comment