Saturday, July 2, 2016

'' A second EU referendum could pull us out of the fire. Let’s make it happen '' Timothy Garton Ash

Brexit is a nightmare from which we are trying to awake. What a weird week this has been. On trips to the Netherlands and Portugal, where I am now, continental friends hug me as if there has been a tragic death in the family. A longtime Serbian friend says, “Now you know what it felt like to be us, explaining that not all Serbs think that way … ”
Nothing has changed and everything has changed. I still go through the EU passport-holders’ queue. But when I stand next to a Scottish family in the airport bus, I find myself thinking: some day soon they might be foreigners, citizens of a small independent country inside the European Union, like Slovakia or Slovenia. But England, my England, where will you be?


No comments:

Post a Comment