Saturday, September 20, 2014

Am I too old to learn a new language?

foreign language book shop 


When Adrian Black met his Italian partner 10 years ago, he was determined to learn her home language. Having successively picked up French a decade earlier when he lived in France, he felt the challenge was attainable.
"I was blown away by how hard it was to learn French, but I came back speaking it pretty well," says Black, who is now 50. But getting to grips with Italian has been a much tougher process, he explains: "I feel like French is deep down in my head somewhere, but with Italian it will take a lot more effort for me to get to that level. "I've noticed that my brain isn't as good as it was, and I'm pretty sure I don't retain stuff as well as I used to. It just doesn't all click as easily as it used to."

No comments:

Post a Comment